Friday, July 31, 2009

Random Recipe Filing

For those of you who don't know...I'm a bit anal, OCD, picky. Call it what you want. It is a sickness and it keeps my mind running like crazy and causes me many a panic attack!

For "birthdays" (my mom's side of the family gets together in the summer and celebrates everyone's birthday for the year) I was given a super cute recipe holder from my cousin. It is a fabulous gift for 3 main reasons.
1. I love recipes!
2. I love organizing!
3. It's colorful and monogrammed!


Yesterday I began organizing some of my recipes. When I opened my new box I read the following headings on the dividers - Appetizers, Soups/Salads, Main Dishes, Meat/Poultry/Seafood, Vegetables, Baked Goods, Desserts, and Beverages.



Recipe Number One - Chicken Tortilla Soup

This is easy. I file it under Soups/Salads.

Recipe Number Two - Corn Pudding

Hey. I've got the hang of this. This should take no time. I file it under Vegetables.

Recipe Number Three - French Toast Souffle'

Wait. Is this a main dish? Is this a Baked Good? I'll come back to this one.

Recipe Number Four - Chicken and Rice Casserole

(Heart starting to race a bit) What? Is this considered a main dish? Baked Good? Meat/Poultry/Seafood? What is the difference between main dish and filing it under meat/poultry/seafood? DAVE! DAVE! (I explain my predicament). His reply? It's not that big of a deal...file it where I want. AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Not the answer for an OCDer!

And so began and ended my recipe filing. I got so frustrated with the whole thing that I just stopped! WHY? Why does it have to be that big of a deal? I'm a crazy (ok, don't answer that)?? I know there has to be someone else out there who feels my pain!

So I ask you, Faithful Followers, where would you file the following:
1- Macaroni and Cheese (why can't they just have a tab that reads Side Dishes?!)
2- Pineapple Sheet Cake (baked good or a dessert?)


Ok, I'll stop obsessing...but seriously, what are your thoughts?!


Pin It

6 comments:

katie davis said...

it's painful how much i relate to this. the exact thing has happened to me multiple times-each time i decide to give organizing the recipe book another try. mac and cheese: make a side dish tab, because that's most def where it goes. is that possible? pineapple sheet cake: dessert. there you go. i love you my fellow OCD/crazy in the brain friend.

Holly said...

I agree! And take out the ones you don't use!

Kelli said...

Make a new tab for the headings you need.

The Russells said...

I am the same way! I thought several times about responding since I know I would have the same frustration about the best solution. I would definitely do what others suggested and make a new tab or put a label over a tab you won't use...aren't baked goods desserts??!

Kristy said...

That's what I thought, MB!

JulieG said...

I had this same problem. I added the tabs I needed. I like the side dish idea. I would put the cake under desserts. Did I give you this recipe? If so, it is heavenly!!! See you soon!